|History of the Pointe-du-Chêne
and the general Shediac area have been key players
in the transportation history of the southeast region
of New Brunswick. Before the arrival of European
colonists, native groups used this area as the key
"terminal" for travel to and from Prince
Edward Island. This strategic role was maintained
by French settlers and continued by British North
American colonies who initiated a ferry service
between Shediac and Summerside and Charlottetown
in 1858. In actual fact, this service was only discontinued
in 1917 when the ferry "The Empress" made
its last crossing. Additionally, New Brunswick's
first ship dry dock was located in Shediac.
rich marine history, Shediac and Pointe-du-Chene also
have had significant roles in the development of other
transportation modes. For instance:
- The first public road was constructed
between Moncton and Shediac in 1816.
- The first rall link in the Maritime Provinces was
provided by the European and North
American Railway commencing in 1858
with a connection between Moncton and
Shediac as well and;
| - Shediac Bay was
a major stop of the
Pan American Clippers which were seaplanes
operated by Pan American Airways making
Trans Atlantic crossings before World War II.
||- Highway and railway access made
travel to the great
beaches and scenary of the local area possible.
Commencing with the residents of the Greater Moncton
Area,the draw of this area now extends to many parts
of North America who view it as a pristine recreational
As a consequence of the area's
development as a
primary tourism destination, it is not surprising
demand for recreational boating has increased.
|In 2004 the federal government
funded major infrastructure repairs to the wharf
that permitted structural stabilization on major
sections that were in dire need of repair. The funding
was made available by a contribution under the "Strategic
Community Investment Fund" of the Atlantic
Canada Opportunities Agency (ACOA.) These expenditures
were necessary for public safety, fundamental services
and to permit economic development for the future.